Union Chapel focuses on community support during health crisis and suspends events
Unfortunately, we have cancelled all events in the next four weeks, due to the current global health crisis.
Union Chapel is known to many as one of London’s most unique gig venues, but behind the scenes there is much more going on. Since 1992, when first registered as a charity, we have been home to a number of very special services and activities aimed at aiding the most in-need and disadvantaged members of our community. These services are largely funded by the profits from the venue’s ticket sales and our events.
During this crisis Union Chapel will escalate our community emergency support work, continuing to aid those in need by:
- Serving as the host venue and donation drop-off point for the Homeless COVID-19 Task Force and campaign in partnership with Islington Council, Museum of Homelessness, Streets Kitchen and others
- Continuing to operate The Margins Project services for the homeless, providing a night shelter, hot meals, and a place to wash clothes, alongside advice and other support
- Working with Help on Your Doorstep to support the most vulnerable across Islington, through phone advice and bringing goods to vulnerable people’s doors, including those self-isolating
- Maintaining support for residents who participate in our vital Culture Cafe, by telephone.
- Looking to take over hosting duties for the Foodbank, due to close next week
- Supporting Islington and Streets Kitchen with outreach foodbanks
For those in a position to do so, Union Chapel welcomes donations at this unprecedented time, and any unclaimed ticket refunds will be donated to Union Chapel’s social and charitable work supporting the vulnerable and preserving the building for community use.
If you’d like to find out how else to support and volunteer, please email on [email protected]
– volunteers, if you’re fit and well and don’t have underlying health issues (or if you do, you can still support our phone-based partners)
– hygiene products
– bikes for foodbank delivery and outdoors kitchens
Get in touch at [email protected] to find out more.