Union Chapel focuses on community support during health crisis and suspends events
Unfortunately, we have cancelled all events, due to the current global health crisis.
Union Chapel is known to many as one of London’s most unique gig venues, but behind the scenes there is much more going on. Since 1992 when first registered as a charity, we have been home to a number of very special services and activities aimed at aiding the most in-need and disadvantaged members of our community. These services are largely funded by the profits from the venue’s ticket sales and our events.
During this crisis Union Chapel will escalate our community emergency support work. We are currently:
· Serving as donation drop-off and redistribution point for food and other products (see below) for homeless and vulnerable people across Islington and north London, working with the Homeless COVID-19 Task Force, Covid Food Network and other partners
· Continuing to operate The Margins Project services for the homeless, providing food, phone support, and donations, as well as previously providing a night shelter, hot meals and a place to wash clothes
· Working with Help on Your Doorstep to support the most vulnerable across Islington, through phone advice and bringing goods to vulnerable people’s doors, including those self-isolating
· Maintaining support for residents who participate in our vital Culture Cafe, by telephone and online creative workshops
· Serving as the launch venue for the Homeless COVID-19 Task Force and campaign in partnership with Islington Council, Museum of Homelessness, Streets Kitchen and others
For those in a position to do so, Union Chapel welcomes donations at this unprecedented time, and any unclaimed ticket refunds will be donated to Union Chapel’s social and charitable work supporting the vulnerable and preserving the building for community use.
If you’d like to find out how else to support and volunteer, please email on [email protected]
· Volunteers – if you’re fit and well and don’t have underlying health issues (or if you do, you can still support our phone-based partners)
- Sleeping bags
- Shaving gel/foam razors
- Deodorant spray and other toiletries
- Large size men’s shoes – size 9 and over
- Working phones with charger, unlocked, no pass codes
- New men’s underwear – sizes M, L or XXL
- New socks
- Non-perishable food
- Canned food – beans, veg, meat, fish, soups
- Dried goods – powdered milk, soup mix, food mixes like pancake mix
- Tea in bags, coffee, sugar
- Dried fruit, seeds and nuts, whole grains like oats
- Energy bars granola and protein
- Long life milk and non-dairy
Please note we CANNOT take any general clothing, bedding or book donations at the moment due to capacity.
Get in touch at [email protected] to find out our full list.