Rick Wakeman: Christmas Piano Odyssey Tour
Mon 17 December 2018
Doors open: 19:00
£40 adv + bf
Entry Requirements: Under 16s accompanied by an adult
Book tickets with Union Chapel
Check here if tickets are sold out above
Following the hugely successful Piano Portraits tour last year, in support of the album of the same name, Rick Wakeman will return in Autumn 2018 with a new show based on the follow up release, entitled Piano Odyssey. The fourteen-date tour will feature even more classic tracks given Rick’s unique piano treatment, and will travel to towns and cities not previously visited in 2017.
Rick says, “In the footsteps of Piano Portraits, the new album Piano Odyssey features a collection of music old and new that includes some particular favourites of mine. I’m looking forward to performing tracks from it live on my own odyssey around the UK in the autumn!”
Upon the release of his Piano Portraits album in January 2017, the YES keyboardist made chart history, becoming the first solo piano album to enter the UK’s Top 10, eventually reaching number 6. Inspired by the unprecedented public reaction to his cover of Bowie’s Life On Mars on BBC Radio 2 a year earlier, the album features instrumental versions of hits that Rick was originally involved with, such as Space Oddity and Morning Has Broken, as well as others which he chose for their melodies, including Stairway To Heaven and Help!.
The 2018 concerts will be based on a selection of tracks from both Piano Odyssey and Piano Portraits, showcasing music that has a special connection with Rick’s own personal musical journey, all accompanied by his hilarious memories and anecdotes about the tunes, plus a few musical surprises.
In December, an additional special Christmas tour will follow, in which the setlist will be given a distinctly seasonal twist.
Expect a night of beautiful piano arrangements, interspersed with Wakeman’s renowned comedy interludes.
Margins Cafe will be serving delicious, hot, homemade food at this event. All profits support The Margins Project, which works with people who face homelessness and crisis and is based here at the Chapel.
- You must also have a ticket for this event to eat at Margins Cafe.
- The Cafe opens to all ticket holders when the chapel doors open, scheduled to be 19:00 for this show.
- Please note the cafe is cash only (there is a bank machine just across the road).
- We’re also taking limited early dinner reservations at 18:30 for this event. Be quick it can fill up fast!
How to book early dinner reservations:
- You can book for dinner when buying your ticket through our site.
- If the option doesn’t appear then it means dinner is fully booked.
- If you have already purchased your ticket for this show you can check availability and book for all dates here.
- If there are no tables available it will say ‘We are sorry but this event has sold out.’
Information for people with a reservation:
- You’ll get an email with full details shortly before the event, however, you just need to come to the black gate to the left of the main entrance, marked Early Dinner Reservations at 18:30 and show your reservation and gig ticket.
- The menu will be displayed here; it normally goes up a couple of days before the show. There will always be at least two hot meals, one of which will be veggie, to choose from, plus lighter bites such as quiche and salad. Check out the sample menu here.