A Night For Lonnie Donegan
With Special Guests
Mon 3 September 2018
Doors open: 19:00
£35 | £31 con. adv + cmsn
Entry Requirements: Under 16s accompanied by an adult
Book tickets with Union Chapel
A Night For Lonnie Donegan
Finally. After way too long, we have a great follow up concert to the ‘Rock Island Line’ memorial concert for Lonnie Donegan back in 2004.
The late ‘King of Skiffle’ and ‘Godfather of British Rock n Roll’ whose hits include ‘Rock Island Line’, ‘Pick a Bale of Cotton’ and ‘Jack of Diamonds’ – to name a few – inspired so many artists from The Beatles to the Rolling Stones, from Van Morrison to even The White Stripes’ Jack White – names Lonnie as one of his major influences.
Billy Bragg’s latest hit book which is flying off the shelves – ‘Roots Radicals and Rockers: How Skiffle Changed The World’ – is centred around the importance Lonnie Donegan had in almost single headedly changing the British music industry from his first hit ‘Rock Island Line’ and creating the ‘teenager’.
Joining us for this this very special event will not only be Billy, but a host of other great names including but not limited to: Ralph McTell, Chas and Dave, The Jive Aces, Chas McDevitt, Chris Difford, Vince Eager, Deborah Bonham, along with Nora Guthrie, daughter of seminal American folk writer, Woody Guthrie – whose songs provided Lonnie with several hits – and The London Philharmonic Skiffle Orchestra
All these wonderful guest artists will be backed by the surviving members of Lonnie’s band of the last 40 years and the night will be hosted by Lonnie’s sons, Peter and Anthony Donegan, as well as some special guest hosts including broadcaster & author, Mike Read.
All proceeds go to assisting Lonnie’s grandson get his ABA therapy for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
This one off special concert will take place at beautiful and evocative Union Chapel in Islington, London.
*Concession and Access Information
Concession are: NUS/ Student, People over the age of 65, Children Under 12
Members discount also available (also £31). Please log in first and choose a general admission. Your discount will be added automatically. Please note, discount is for named member only.
Please note that our lift is currently out of order meaning the bar is only accessible by stairs. We are working hard to get it fixed but we expect it to be unavailable until September 2018.
We can make alternative arrangements for customers whose disability means they cannot access the bar without a lift.
Our stewards will be on hand on the night to help with this but if you have any questions do get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org | 020 7226 1686 (Mon-Fri, 9am – 5pm)
There is more information about access at Union Chapel here.
Margins Cafe will be serving delicious, hot, homemade food at this event. All profits support The Margins Project, which works with people who face homelessness and crisis and is based here at the Chapel.
- You must also have a ticket for this event to eat at Margins Cafe.
- The Cafe opens to all ticket holders when the chapel doors open, scheduled to be 19:00 for this show.
- Please note the cafe is cash only (there is a bank machine just across the road).
- We’re also taking limited early dinner reservations at 18:30 for this event. Be quick it can fill up fast!
How to book early dinner reservations:
- You can book for dinner when buying your ticket through our site.
- If the option doesn’t appear then it means dinner is fully booked.
- If you have already purchased your ticket for this show you can check availability and book for all dates here.
- If there are no tables available it will say ‘We are sorry but this event has sold out.’
Information for people with a reservation:
- You’ll get an email with full details shortly before the event, however, you just need to come to the black gate to the left of the main entrance, marked Early Dinner Reservations at 18:30 and show your reservation and gig ticket.
- The menu will be displayed here; it normally goes up a couple of days before the show. There will always be at least two hot meals, one of which will be veggie, to choose from, plus lighter bites such as quiche and salad. Check out the sample menu here.